Thursday, September 21, 2006


Digitized Lace

Ever since I got my computer program for my sewing machine I have been dreaming of making free standing lace. I joined a group of people who do just this and have been slowly working through the exercises. This pic is exercise two.

My inspiration came from a day out last week to the Art Gallery of NSW. I came home & drew up my design on a computer drawing program, imported this drawing into my machine program and went to work.

Attempt number 1 is at the top of the photo. I used an inbuilt design to make the mesh background but it was too dense to show off my scrolls so I tried again.

Attempt number 2 is in the center. This time I used my own mesh design but an inbuilt pattern run for the scallop edge. As soon as it starting stitching I knew it would fall apart so it was back to the drawing board.

Attempt number 3 uses my mesh & my scallop. It took ages to get the scallop right so that it would run neatly around the edge with no gaps & no jump stitches. I was pretty happy with this one, it at least passes the wash out test, but I know it could do with more work.

So what have I learnt?

* the importance of underlay
* the importance of start & stop points
* Patience is definately a virtue
* All good things comme to those who wait.

I think there are lessons in everthing we do. I sure had some with this.

3 comments:

Dianne said...

Wow three times makes perfect, it is really beautiful. What a girl you are, always learning lessons..
I believe you are an old soul ( not meaning your old just you soul:):) )

Digitalgran said...

I love your lace Jenny. I need to get back to doing more digitizing too. You have inspired me.

larin said...

I love these! Lovely! --LaRinda