Friday, April 18, 2008

Filet Lace


Back in November I listed my personal challenges for 2008. One of the things on my list was to have a play with some filet lace. Behold! Challenge complete! The two pieces pictured here are both worked straight from the book "Filet Lace - Stitches & Patterns" by Margaret Morgan. I must admit I was a little scared of trying as I was worried about all that under & over stuff & ending up where you start. It was not as hard as I thought. I am only up to page 40 in the book (there are 168), but I feel like I am ready to tackle a design of my own. The only problem is that the mesh has been very hard on my fingers, giving me a small dose of dermatitis, which I think has come from the dressing that has been used to stiffen the mesh. I will just have to withdraw threads from fabric & make my own mesh to avoid this problem, something that has been an aim anyway.

7 comments:

PAULE said...

You've done lovely work from this book. Thanks for sharing.

Paule

Margaret said...

Your work could illustrate the book it is so evenly executed, and of course lovely. My personal challenge this year is just keeping up with things so I really admire your challenge to learn something new.
And I like your stitched leaf. When I took a close look at it I thought the textures were neat and I like the dimension created by the different texture directions.
Margaret

Wendy said...

These are amazing!!! Wow! How brave of you to try this and how marvelous that they turned out so fantastic.
I would say that you are a pro.
Wendy

Christine said...

Jennie, your filet turned out beautifully !! Hope my Margaret S. workshop goes 1/4 as well, VBG. I'm happy with it so far, but June will be the decider. Thanks for sharing your photos,
Hooroo,
Christine
http://missmuffettwo.blogspot.com/

Digitalgran said...

That work is wonderful Jenny. I remember doing drawn threadwork when I was very young and I remember how difficult it was to take the threads out evenly. I still have a table cloth with thread drawn round the edges.

Adriana Ortiz said...

It is perfect,if this is your first filet CONGRATULATION!!!!
Please visit my blog, and you will get inspiration.
Bye,bye.
Adriana

Magia dos bordados said...

Olá! Muito bonito seu Blog. Adorei os trabalhos são muito bonito. Sou apreciadora das rendas. Adoro borda-las. Convido a me visitar: http://alcastrosantos.blogspot.com
Será um prazer recebê-la. Abraços, Algecira