Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Needle Lace Autumn Leaf

On one of my on-line groups someone commented about the use of colour in needle lace and that they would not like to see a piece in more than one colour. So I just thought I would dig out my needleace leaf that I did years ago in a workshop with Margaret Stevens, a tutor with the Australian Lace Guild.

This little leaf uses about five different colours, including a variagated one, and personally I think it looks fine. To me, the use of colour, and more than one colour, in the same needle-lace piece, just depends on the end use of the piece. Just my take one the subject.

4 comments:

Christine said...

I agree, the world needs more colour, VBG. But yes, I guess it does depend on the final use of the piece. My own coloured needlelace is still a WISP, but one day I hope to show the world, LOL
Hooroo,
Christine.

Gina said...

I'm not a needlelace expert by any means, but I do like to see and use color. Needlelace is one lace, however, that often seems really set off by using only one color. I've been doing Romanian Point Lace for just a few years and not very many pieces. I've used color in some and white or ecru in others.

I do love the way you've used color in this leaf though. They're all in the same color family or complementary so I think that is part of it too. The color variation helps add depth.

As already noted...depends on the piece and it's intended use.

Margaret said...

Your leaf is beautiful Jenny. I love the colours. I think it is probably like all the changes in Blackwork - when the colours are used well, and as people get used to the idea, more people will realize that colour is okay.
Margaret

Adriana Ortiz said...

I agree.
The colour that you chose for the leaf goes perfectly.
I began with colour threads a few months ago and I wasn't convinced at first, but now I love it.Also are we in the XXIst century and it is time to change,doesn't seem to you?
Regards
Adriana