Monday, September 17, 2012

Byzantine Lefkara Lace

Just over a week ago, I had the absolute pleasure of participating in a two day workshop in Byzantine Lefkara lace with Christine P. Bishop. The workshop was a private one, organised by a lovely group of ladies, and participants were by invitation only. I felt so stoked that I was on the invitation list! The two days were full on, and my eyes were complaining by the end of day one, even though there were plenty of rest breaks with copious amounts of tea & food, especially on the sweet side. On the morning of day two  I thought my eyes had recovered enough to start stitching again, but even my brain had frazzled a little, and I couldn't count as well as I had in the past. Consequently, there was much reverse stitching and not as much progression as I would have liked. However, I still learnt plenty, and now have enough knowledge to finish the piece.

By the end of day two I only had two of the nine squares above filled with the appropriate fillings, the other six fillings have been worked over the last week. There are many more squares of fillings yet to go. When completed ( yes it will be completed!) it may not be exactly the same as the teacher's, as I plan to work a different edge than the one on her sample. I think that is called "individuality". Watch this space to see how it turns out.

I must add here that I have possessed a book on this type of work for a number of years and am glad that it is finally getting some use.

I had a fabulous time at this workshop, and it was the first time I had participated in one run by this tutor. Christine was an excellent tutor and I would love to do more of her classes.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a terrific opportunity Jenny. I am so pleased you were able to participate, and just love your fillings. Good luck with the rest of the piece. I must apologize for my absence. Things are a bit weird in my world at the moment. Cheers.

Melissa Ann said...

I just stumbled across your blog and I thought I would say Hi and wow that is really pretty.

Radka said...

Lovely piece of embroidery, I look forward to seeing the whole thing :-)